If you’re freaking out right now because of COVID-19, it is OKAY. It’s NOT okay to stay freaked out. Everything unknown can be scary. The great news is that we have a God who is not surprised by this virus. He is in control and still reigns on His throne, and for that I am thankful.
“For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
While we are all going through this difficult time, it is very important that you take care of yourself, especially if you are in charge of taking care of others.
1. Sleep In…if you can. Take this time at home to rest. If you are still working then obviously you have to make your schedule work for you, but if you are home, turn off your alarm clock.
2. Do daily quiet time, meditation, scripture reading or prayer time. If you don’t already do this, then turn off the news and start feeding your brain positive and calming thoughts.
3. Get out of the house. Take a walk around the block. Sit in your back or front yard and listen to nature.
4. Get moving. Find things to do that don’t require the gym. Youtube is full of free workouts. Pulling weeds and doing yardwork is a great way to raise that heartbeat. Lift weights at home or go for a run around the block.
5. Enjoy these moments. I know. I know. You’re thinking…enjoy this? Really?!? I’m serious. Take inventory around you. Do you have family with you? Are you all healthy? Make memories. Cook a new recipe. Play a new boardgame. Enjoy getting to know the people in your home again.
6. Clean and purge your home. I know this is weird, but I LOVE to clean and purge. I have been quarantined for 5 days as of late, and I have tackled a different room each day. It makes me feel calm, doing something that I can control. I can control the amount of stuff in my house. If I haven’t used it in 6 months or I don’t absolutely love it, then it’s gone.
7. Read a book or listen to a podcast. Get lost in a good old fashioned book. The library is closed, but you can order them online through Hoopla or you can download your favorite speaker and listen.
8. Don’t eat all the crap. I know when we are stuck in the house, we tend to get bored and eat, but don’t do it. Junk food will make you feel good for a few minutes and then it will make you crash in a bad way. Try to keep your snacks healthy.
9. Get creative. Do you have something that you’ve always wanted to try, but never had the time? Now, you have the time! Try it! Paint something, draw something, write something, create something and be proud of yourself for going outside the box!
10. Count your blessings. Be thankful for everything you have. Start to dream about the days coming when we go back to our so called normal life. Don’t take it for granted.
What have you learned while in quarantine? Will you change anything when all the bans are lifted?